A Different Shopping Experience
Shopping is slow-paced and leisurely. There are no traffic jams; but, sometimes you must wait a moment while a horse and buggy is making a left turn.
The Amish land of Arcola, Arthur, Sullivan, and Tuscola have many shopping experiences, many of which are uniquely Amish and others that are unique because the local artisans create the products.
Arthur holds the Arthur Quilt Show
in April, usually the week after the Paducha Show. This is the area for quilts
- Stitch & Sew, Arthur
- The Calico Workshop and Oak Furniture, Arthur
- Country Cheese and More, Arthur
- Amish Quilt and Craft in the countryside.
- Mel Rose Quilts
- Miller's Dry Goods
- The Tanger Outlet Mall in Tuscola, Illinois
- There are interesting downtown stores in Arcola and Arthur.
- Los Jarritos grocery store, Arcola, IL
Art Galleries (Local Artists)
- The Vault Arts Collective Tuscola, IL
- The Wall Dogs Murals, Arcola, IL
- Main Street Gallery, Arcola, IL
- The TinType and Illini Photo, Arthur, IL
- The Villa Galleries, Arthur, IL
- New Prairie Art Gallery, Sullivan, IL
- Tarbel Art Center, Eastern Illinois Universitey, Charleston, IL
- Ziemer Art Gallery, Monticello, IL
- Prairie Fire Glass, Monticello, IL
There are many good dining choices.
- Arcola franchise Restaurants: Dairy Queen, Hen House, and Monical's Pizza.
- Amish food in The Dutch Kitchen
- A delightful lunch experience at the Daily Kneads Cafe which features a European trained chef, Gary Maples.
- Chesterville, west of Arcola, contains the Korner CafĂ© with Amish food. It's a local hangout for area residents.
- Yoder's Country Kitchen at the edge of Arthur is a popular area restaurant.
- Rockome Restaurant at Rockome Gardens
- Pauley's BBQ Restaurant
- Mexican Restaurants: El Toro Restaurants in Arcola; Los Potros, in Tuscola, and La Cascada Restaurant in Arthur, IL; El Taco Takos, Arcola.
- After Hours: It'll Do Bar and Grill, Arcola; The Berg Bar and Grill; and Proud Mary's Bar & Grill, Tuscola
Other Unique Experiences
- There are two authenitic, old-fashion soda fountains, Flesor's Candy Kitchen in Tuscola, IL that is well-known for its candy and
- Dicks Pharmacy in Arthur which should be visited for its milkshakes.
- Country Cheese and More located in downtown Arthur. This Amish owned and run store offers unique choices and is worth the visit.
- There are three very good authentic Mexican restuarants in the area.
- Photography Herschberger Gallery, Arthur, IL; Darrell Beachy Photography, Arcola, IL; and Main Street Gallery by Leanne Rardin, Arcola, IL.
- The Prairie Photographers, Arcola,
Amish ShopsThere are several interesting Amish shops, including Miller's Dry Goods, Stamping Supplies, Beachy's Grocery and Bakery, The Lamp Shop, A.D. Miller's furniture refinishing shop, Swings 'n Things, Mast Harness shop, an assortment of furniture and woodworking shops, two upholstry shops, Planks Preserves, Yoder's Gazebos, The Country Bike Shop, The Variety Store, Health Food Store, and the Country Shoe Shop. Ask us about information about these stores since most do not have phone numbers and all are in the countryside.